I’m so fortunate to have such incredible in laws. I know a lot of people are not as lucky as I am. My family and my husbands family get a long tremendously. My mother-in-law is such a kind hearted loving person. She has three boys and loves them more than anything in the world and when I came into the picture she loved me as her own. Family values were such an important thing to my husband and I when we first started dating, as we both come from such extraordinary families we wanted that for ourselves. My mother-in-law makes a point of having the entire family over for Sunday night dinner. She is an amazing cook and since my husband and I have been celiac, she makes an effort to make the entire meal gluten free. It’s so special to unwind at the end of the weekend before returning back to work with a nice glass of wine and a good home cooked meal, especially when you don’t have to do the cooking.
Last night she surprised us with a delicious dessert she prepared at the end of the meal. It was so yummy that I wanted to share this tasty recipe from Betty Crocker with all of you. It’s a simple recipe and perfect comfort food. She didn't chill it for the required amount of time and it was still absolutely delicious. Share this recipe at your next family gathering. Let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Enjoy. Photo Credit
1 box Betty Crocker™ Gluten Free yellow cake mix
½ cup cold butter
2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 can (21 oz) apple pie filling
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Place cake mix in large bowl. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly and coarse. Reserve 1 1/2 cups crumb mixture; press remaining crumbs in bottom of pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over partially baked crust. In medium bowl, mix pie filling and cinnamon. Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over top. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Cool about 30 minutes. Refrigerate to chill, about 2 hours. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.